Peggy’s Cove Nova Scotia Photos

Below is a photo of the lighthouse at Peggy’s Cove, Nova Scotia. The story behind the name of the village is that a young girl named Peggy survived a shipwreck years ago, married a local, and that fishermen began to refer to the place where the couple lived as “Peggy’s Cove.”  The most likely explanation for the name is that Peggy is a nickname for Margaret, and since the village is located on St. Margaret’s Bay the name stuck.  The lighthouse at Peggy’s Cove is officially known as Peggy’s Point Lighthouse. The one you see standing today is not the original lighthouse. The first one simply as mall wooden home, with a kerosene powered beacon that the light keeper lit every evening before going to sleep. In 1914 the current lighthouse at Peggy’s Cove was constructed, built of reinforced concrete and steel. It was powered by a kerosene lamp and fresnel lens for years, then the light was replaced with an electric powered one. It has withstood several major hurricanes and countless winter storms over the nearly one hundred years it has been standing.

Click on any photo to view full size. This photo is copyrighted but is available for purchase.

peggys point lighthouse nova scotia

Artists are “drawn” to Peggy’s Cove Nova Scotia, one of the Atlantic Seaboard’s most picturesque fishing villages. Situated on a rocky outcrop just south of Halifax, Peggy’s cove is home to about ninety full time residents. Thousands of visitors go to see the lighthouse and harbor and Peggy’s Cove. Some, such as the woman below, bring their paint and easel with them. On any nice spring or summer day you can find over a dozen artists painting and drawing in the village.

woman painting a picture at Peggy's Cove

Skeleton of an old fishing boat next to the harbor in Peggy’s Cove. In 1954 hurricane Edna destroyed many buildings in the town and sank several fishing boats.

remains of old fishing boat

On the way to Peggy’s Cove there are some nice places to stop and take photos. An old boat shed and a yacht at anchor in St. Margaret’s Bay.

canadian beach

Below: On September 2, 1998, Swissair flight 111 bound from New York to Geneva, Switzerland crashed near Peggy’s Cove, killing all 229 people aboard. The residents of Peggy’s Cove helped with recovery efforts and provided housing for search and rescue personnel. The monument states that “They have been joined to the sea and sky.”

Peggys Cove memorial to crash victims

Below: Street in nearby Lunenburg Nova Scotia.

Street and horse carriage in Lunenberg Nova Scotia

Below: Small boats in harbor in Lunenburg Nova Scotia