Forest Gump Lighthouse In Maine
In the Move “Forest Gump”, Tom Hanks portrays a mentally handicapped yet remarkable person, who in his many great deeds runs across the United States. The lighthouse at Marshall Point, near Port Clyde, Maine, is the point where Forest Gump decides that he can go no farther eastward and turns around and runs toward the west coast. The movie producers probably chose the Marshall Point lighthouse because of its classic lighthouse shape and beautiful grounds. It is not a large lighthouse by Maine standards, but is situated at a very beautiful spot along the coast. The lighthouse is located near the fishing and lobstering village of Port Clyde. In the lighthouse museum there is a photo of Tom Hanks with a local boy from Port Clyde. According the the volunteers at the lighthouse museum, the producers of “Forest Gump” brought four semi-truck loads of equipment for what amounted to a ten second scene in the movie. The photo of Marshall Point Lighthouse taken below is an HDR image, composed of three separate photos. It was shot with a Nikon D-800 and 14-28 mm wide angle lens, using a polarizing filter.
Click on any photo below to enlarge.
The “Forest Gump Lighthouse” at Marshall Point was built in 1858, along with the light keeper’s home. In 1896 a new colonial home was built for the light keeper, after the original one burned. Marshall Point Lighthouse was built during a period some call the “lighthouse decade.” It was around the time of the mid 19th century, just before the Civil war, that a number of lighthouses were built along the coastline of the United States. Maritime commerce was increasing, and along with it were the number of nautical disasters because of the lack of navigational beacons. It’s doubtful that the builders of the Marshall Point could have ever imagined the beacon becoming famous because of a movie made in the year 1994. Today the St. George Historical Society cares for the lighthouse and grounds.